23 October 2019

Some Bees doing well - One colony perished

For late October I found me Apiary very busy yesterday with plentiful amounts of pollen being carried in. Ivy forage is plentiful and very beneficial just now. and is in close proximity. To a varying degree the top inside each hive was heavy with condensation. I raised those slightly to give better ventilation but today will be checking again to gauge if its working. The lost colony had been struggling through the summer and I had hoped I might feed them through the autumn but perhaps I left it too late. Now the job of cleaning up and disinfecting everything remains. The bars are to be scorched and washed in hot soda solution. Likewise the hive itself will be thoroughly cleaned out and disinfected.

Come December I intend to treat all three surviving hives with oxalic acid vapor against the veroa mite, the same treatment as done the previous December. 

No comments: