26 July 2018

Sugar Coated Bees against Veroa

Today three of my four hives underwent the Powdered Sugar treatment. A dusting of pure icing sugar gently shaken over each side of every comb. Plenty took to the air but generally they underwent the proceedure in good spirit without too much complaint.
Wearing my top tunic veil and Marigold gloves I was not stung at all but the heat was in the region of 30degC and I had to retire before attempting to dust the fourth and final hive.

I shall not count the Veroa drop 'till later tomorrow.

Several of the combs were quite heavy with honey



Some flying while others entering still well coated in sugar powder



The mouse guard has been in place all year on this hive



Plenty of brood and lots of drones



This design hive is quite easy to manage without upsetting the bees much



The end follower boards blank off either end - heat loss here is minimised by the use of a 3/16 balsa wood lining



No comments: