23 February 2016

First light on a frosty morning

Determined to put a camera gadget to the test my early start led to the Babeny cul-de-sac between Yar Tor and Sharp Tor. I allowed myself thirty five minutes to reach the spot, having sped down the A38 leaving the dual carriageway at Ashburton.  From there the road leads up to Poundsgate and eventually to Princetown. 

The lane leading to Babeny up past Yar Tor


Frosted tussocks and frozen pools


Sharp Tor

 Just in time to see the sun up at 7.10 am, several pairs of skylark were to be heard in full song but the wind was keen and carried within it, specks of light rain, enough to spoil some images that might otherwise have been of use. 

Ancient field systems

Excited at the prospect of  the ever changing light and seeking out what I hoped would be good vantage points, but the wind chill soon chased me back to the relative warmth of the car, my fingers tingling and too chilled to operate the camera for more than twenty minutes. 

The same scene ten minutes later and the colours have changed


Time to head home for a warm cup of tea

No comments: